As the last remnants of winter melt away and the flowers and trees begin to bloom with spring, it’s time to pack away that down filled coat and those waterproof winter boots and set your eyes on sunnier sights. Of course the change in season means fewer layers, lighter fabrics and plenty of sunshine. However, not everyone can splurge on a whole new wardrobe for the change in season. Below are my top five items that everyone should have for this upcoming summer.
1. One of the easiest ways to spruce your spring/summer wardrobe is lipstick! With the variety in colours, shades and price points it can take any outfit from day to night. For some reason the idea of lipstick intimidates most, especially with the enormous amounts of choices available sometimes it is hard to know where to begin. Try dropping by your local grocery store or Shoppers Drug Mart, most have a cosmetics section with affordable brands like Revlon or COVERGIRL. As a lipstick addict (red being my colour of choice), I love the way any shade of lipstick can elevate any ordinary outfit to extraordinary. The problem is most people I know are too intimidated by the broad amount of choices available. They have the option of M.A.C and Sephora that carry numerous brands and lipstick shades. They also have the choice of the always reliable, Canadian department stores such as The Bay and Holt Renfrew, which have endless aisles of sales associates waiting to make a sale.
2. Nail polish can also have a subtle pop of colour for those who prefer neutral colours in their wardrobes. Like lipstick, there are many options with colours, brands and price points. Again your local Shoppers Drug Mart or grocery store is your best friend. There are so many different brands such as Essie, O.P.I and Rimmel London. Personally, I don’t see a point in spending more than $10 on nail polish. All brands chip at some point so invest in three colours you will wear for the warmer months.
3. When it comes to summer, weather permitting of course, jackets tends to get pushed to the back of closets, forgotten until fall. However, once the sun sets, it can get pretty chilly. Having a light jacket you can throw on any outfit makes life easier especially since the night life during the summer is POPPIN.
4. Living in Toronto it is time to take advantage of the warm weather and invest in a pair of shoes, whether they are heels, sandals or flats. It is definitely worth your money if you can wear them with many different outfits. This year I have my eyes set on a pair of Rag & Bone sandals that will go with everything I own… At least that’s what I tell myself to justify the $395 price tag.
5. Depending on your personal style, you may not be into layering on tons of jewelry. There are also many people that are very sensitive to certain metals (like me) who can only wear sterling silver or 14K gold. If you are one the lucky people that can wear costume jewelry… TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! Go get lost in the accessories section of Forever 21 or Tiffany’s if you are willing to spend a pretty penny.