Cutting T-Shirts like a Boss!
They’re James Dean, Marlon Brando, Debbie Harry, and Joan Jett. Paired with jeans, a skirt, or
tight leather pants; t-shirts have proven themselves to be a staple in the fashion world. So why not try your own DIY tee?
An awesome starter into t-shirt DIY is the off the shoulder look, because it is so simple. Just grab a pair of scissors and you’re set.
1. Lay your t-shirt flat and cut off the edge of each sleeve just above the hem stitching. Do the same to the bottom hem of the T-shirt.
2. Cut out the collar of your T-shirt. You can either take a piece of chalk and draw a line, or cut two slits at the sides of the collar to help guide you when cutting.
3. Try on the shirt. The neck should slide nicely off one shoulder. If it isn’t scooped enough, cut out more fabric until you get your desired look. It is better to cut less than you think you should. You can always go back and cut more.
Change the look. Get creative. Cut it shorter for a crop top style or if it’s long enough, tie the bottom into a knot at your hip.
Coined from Native Americans, fringe has made its way through countless generations and numerous styles; so pick your look, pick your era, and shimmy to your heart’s content.
1. Put on the t-shirt you wish to cut, and measure out where you think the fringe should start. Mark this point with chalk on both sides as a guide.
2. Lay the T-shirt flat and cut off the collar below the seam. Cut the sleeves and bottom of t-shirt just above the hem.
3. Start from the bottom edge and cut strips ½” wide. Making sure that you cut both layers of the shirt. You may prefer to measure with a ruler and mark out the ½” lines before cutting.
To make this look more interesting, try tying knots in random places on the fringe. You can cut the sleeves into fringe as well.
The look of the cut out skull t-shit is huge right now; it’s also relatively easy to do. All you’ll need is a pair of scissors, a piece of chalk and a flat surface. A picture of a skull may help too.
1. Determine whether you want your skull face to be on the front or the back of your t-shirt. Lay it on a flat surface with the preferred side facing upward.
2. Take a piece of chalk and draw two large oval shapes slightly below the neckline to create eyes.
3. Draw two smaller, thinner oval shapes side by side underneath the eyes. The tops of the ovals should point close together to look like a nose.
4. Draw two rows of small rectangles in a curved line under the nose, starting from the edge of the left eye to the edge of the right. This will create the teeth.
5. Once you have the look you prefer, cut out the shapes. Remember to only cut one layer of the t-shirt and keep fabric between the two shapes of the nose and the spaces between the teeth.
For this look, it is better to go with a loose, over-sized t-shirt. For an easier design try a heart or flower.
There you have it, a few simple ideas to revamp your wardrobe. So before spending $50.00 on a vintage ACDC t-shirt at Urban Outfitters, why not just create your own?