Tuesday, March 16, 2021

To brand, or not to brand. That is the question.

It’s January of 2020. You’ve been working on your designs, picking out fabrics, and brainstorming ideas for what feels like an eternity. You woke up feeling motivated and determined. Gone are the days of procrastination. Today is the day that you are finally going to launch your brand. With a fresh pot of coffee brewing, and your laptop on full charge, you’re all geared up to get started. But, wait. HEADLINE: “First positive case of the COVID-19 virus found in Toronto”. Well hold on just a moment. You’ve been delaying this forever. You were finally ready to get started. Today was supposed to be the first day of the rest of your life. What’s going to happen to the city? How long is this going to last? What about the brand? Maybe it’s time to get back in some comfy PJs and check out what’s new on Netflix. These are just some of the wild thoughts that have gone through the heads of many young designers eager to get their foot in the door. This includes up-and-coming Toronto designer, Kyler Lauzon, who I had the pleasure of interviewing earlier this week.

Born in Waterloo, Ontario, 23-year-old Kyler has always had a passion for clothing, teaching himself to sew at the age of 14. “When I was younger, I found I really wasn’t able to afford the brands that I thought were cool,” he began, “so, one day I decided I was going to teach myself how to sew, and just make my own designs.” Kyler’s designs are best described as elevated basics, featuring unique patterns that bring a different take to the classic jeans-and-a-hoodie look. From his innovative use of different materials, to his use of detachable elements in his garments, Kyler is bringing something fresh and exciting to the industry. “In a way, I sort of see myself as my most important customer”, he stated. “Instead of focusing on what is trendy or what might generate the most sales, I simply try to focus on the things that I’m truly excited about and want to wear myself.” Kyler has recently launched the website for his brand KYISSORRY, and dropped his first official line of hoodies, which sold out within the first couple days. He has also had one of his designs purchased by Los Angeles brand Renowned, which is currently being sold at high-end retailer, Nordstrom. And believe it or not, Kyler is one of our very own, currently enrolled in George Brown’s Fashion Design and Techniques program.

I couldn’t help but wonder how he has managed these huge leaps in his career, during a time where many business seem to be struggling to survive. In January of this year, a report on business openings and closings was released by Statistics Canada estimating 25,614 have closed since February, assumingly due to the current pandemic. As we discussed his recent success, Kyler seemed acutely aware of this, stating “as the world has basically been on pause for the last year or so, it’s been tough financially on everyone. I wasn’t even able to work for half 2020.” But, instead of focusing on what he couldn’t control, Kyler decided to try and make the best of it. He took this newfound extra time and the possibly-unwanted lack of distractions to focus on his craft. “In some sense, it gave me the time to take a step back, focus on what exactly I want to do with my brand, develop my skills, and experiment more outside the box, without having this sense of urgency to create and release new garments.”

With many brands having a hard time during this pandemic, while others like KYISSORRY seem to be taking off, we’re faced with the question: Is now a bad time to start a fashion brand? According to Kyler, it’s all about what motivates you. “If you’re doing it for the wrong reasons, now may be one of the worst times to start a brand,” he speculated, “because I really think becoming truly successful within the fashion industry takes years. If you’re just looking for quick income, it’s most likely not going to work out.” Kyler advises new designers to have patience and to use being stuck at home to their advantage. “We are all adjusting to a new normal life, with a lot more time on our hands,” he said, “so use this a chance to reflect. Take a step back, figure out why you want to create a brand, what it’s going to look like, and more importantly, what it’s going to stand for.”

No comments: