Tuesday, March 16, 2021

‘Looking like an absolute cosmic-magistrate’: Where androgyny and Indigenous fashion meet political statement

Cody Bowles has a passion for fashion and a commitment to justice for their Indigenous community. The Juno-nominated singer/drummer started their journey to find their unique personal style through thrifting.

The two spirit, non-binary musician is half of the two-time nominated Juno band, Crown Lands.Named for the land Canada stole from Indigenous Canadians, Bowles and their bandmate, Kevin Comeau, use their platform to raise awareness of, and open a conversation about, Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Canada.

In March, Crown Lands was nominated for two Junos in the Breakthrough Group and Rock Album of the Year categories. Also in March, the band was featured in Rolling Stone magazine.Inspired by Rush, Queen, and Led Zeppelin, the Oshawa-based band was formed in 2016 and has been blowing up over the past year despite a European tour being cancelled at the beginning of Covid-19.

Indigenous rights and issues are at the forefront of Crown Lands’ values as a band. “And we are going to see what else we can do and what else we can talk about in the framework of music to give people, to give indigenous people, more of a boost of awareness instead of people living in this country completely oblivious to the history.”

Bowles said talking about Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women makes some people uncomfortable, but is a way to educate the uninformed and create a space for uncomfortable conversations, while honouring women and their families. “On the flipside, there are people who are like, ‘oh, thank you so much for playing this music, you’ve really made me feel seen because my sister was taken.' We’ve had people come up and say that. So it is something that is really profound and touches me.”

Bowles feels a responsibility as an artist to honour Indigenous history in this country, creating awareness of Canada’s cultural genocide and silencing of the Indigenous population. “And that is far more nefarious to me than being overt about something, that covert, creepy silent smile,” Bowles said.

When asked whether being Indigenous affects how they dress, Bowles discussed being two spirit and connecting with their androgynous identity and Indigenous roots. “Oh yeah, 100 per cent, being non-binary and two spirit are two separate things to me,” said Bowles. “It is like being in my body is really hard to describe, it is hard to describe what two spirit is ... to anyone who is not that themselves it is so hard to explain. But it does absolutely influence the way I am.”

Bowles long locks are important to their identity. “I have always had long hair and that is because I have always been two spirit and it is something I directly related to that and it is something I have always really had pride in”

Bowles looks stunning and their style, both retro and fashion forward, captures attention with bold patterns and layered necklaces. Their love for fashion exploded through thrifting where you can find more unique pieces than in fast fashion; things ranging from designer vintage to granny vests. Despite recent gentrification of thrifting, there are still places to go and dig for unique and weird treasures.

Bowles cruises thrift stores looking for items that speak to them. This was where they, “developed my sense of taste in fashion and discovered what I liked and wanted to put on my body."

The fashion goal? “Looking like an absolute cosmic-magistrate." This journey began with one blue shirt from Winners. “It was something that wasn’t flashy, that is the funny part. I wore a lot of necklaces with it … and I was like, yes, this is the direction I want to go in and fuel that fire. It’s that passion for fashion.”

Meanwhile, the Canadian duo are embracing the time this pandemic has given them in the studio. “So we have been working tirelessly every single weekday, up to five hours a day, on new music which created about 50 new songs,” said Bowles. “Just trying to make something magical and make something stick, you know?”

Finding success and comfort during a global pandemic is no easy task, but Bowles credits their meditation practice for keeping them grounded. “I meditate every day that I can, you know, and getting up in the morning is really hard sometimes,” said Bowles. “When I am able to kind of dig deep and reflect and sit with myself, the world becomes a little bit more manageable and with that freedom the door opens up a little more for me to accept the way things are for what it is and just kind of take each day in stride. And be thankful for everything I have, you know, I am thankful that I have my health and try my best to remain safe.”

To see Crown Lands’ activist work in action check out their music video for End Of The Road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-sq55Au8s

No comments: