Wednesday, February 21, 2007

confessions of a sneaker addict

service journalism piece


I can’t help but check out people’s shoes when I meet them. Yes, I know that this is not something that I should admit, but…… it is true! I consider myself to be a somewhat reforming ‘sneakerholic’ and don’t think that my traits and impulses will be dying anytime soon.

The worlds best known shoe collector and former Philippines first lady Imelda Marcos’ shoe fetish confirms that the average ‘sneaker addict’s problems could be much worse. The abundance of specialty stores such as ‘Goodfoot’ in Toronto and magazines such as ‘Complex’ are now dedicated to this culture and are fueling the industry, which is now becoming out of control. There has been a 350% increase in sneaker sales in the last two decades, and it is not about to slow down anytime soon. This commodity product has reached fever-pitch, as ‘sneaker-heads’ consistently camp outside their favorite store to be the first to grab the latest limited edition pair.

Though I have not been ‘under the influence’ for quite that long as some people, I am starting to feel the effects of exploitation. Companies such as ‘Nike’ and ‘Bathing Ape’ are to blame. The countless styles of bestselling models such as the “Dunk” or “AF1”, that are introduced each month are hard to keep up with. The marketing strategies of these companies prey on the innocent consumer, and drain the wallets of those that are addicted.

“Rules of Attraction”

I have to admit that the right pair of sneakers on the opposite sex (or the same) can be the quite an attraction. The shoes can not be cheap; however, this can be excused if they compliment the rest of the outfit. I love a guy in rare sneakers; this can be the greatest of all turn-ons; However, the wrong pair will put me off to superficial proportions. As soon as I see pair of ‘K-Swiss’, or ‘Sketchers’….it’s over before it begins!!

Though usually applied to the classic stereotype of stiletto-obsessed women, this fetish, I would say, is more prevalent among the ever-growing sneaker community. These are the new fashion-savvy shoe aficionados, and they are being watched by the corporate giants in the fashion industry.

LVMH, an international luxury conglomerate, are the owners of many luxury brands such as Louis Vuitton and Givenchy. One of their heavyweight brands is Fendi, who recently approached the Japanese streetwear designer Nigo (A Bathing Ape/ Ice Cream). The two fashion empires are clearly from different worlds, though they are both purveyors of high quality garments that are produced in limited quantities. Fendi’s goal is to establish an “ongoing personal and professional alliance”.(the Independent online news source) This, for example, is the coming of luxury and street/sneaker culture at its finest.

Sometimes fashion can surface from functionality; such examples include apparel for sports and the military, and in this case we are talking about sports. This brings me back to being your humble host. Yes, I have fallen victim to fashion a consumerism, but isn’t admitting ones afflictions the first step to recovery?

No comments: