Wednesday, November 09, 2022

The Crystal Business: A Look Into Rebekah Price, The Swavorski Crystal Shop And The Woman Behind It All.

I had a phone interview with Rebekah Price about her jewelry business and how it all came to fruition. Rebekah Price sells crystal jewelry in all forms. Her successful collection "Rivoli" takes a maximalist approach with many colour options. She coined "Rivoli Revolution" regarding this beautiful collection. Price and I discussed fashion in her upbringing, the beginning stages of her career, her creative process with the brand and designing her jewelry. "Rebekah Price" can be seen in Neiman Marcus, Indigo stores and many boutique shops. Price's jewelry has been featured in magazines and publications like Refinery 29, Vogue Italy, Vogue UK, FASHION Canada, Who What Wear, The Oprah Magazine, Weddingbells, WedLuxe, and NYFW.

Making "Rebekah Price."

Rebekah Price grew up in Los Angeles, California. When I asked about her professional background, she explained, "I think I was born a professional in the industry. It was in my veins. I was always a very hard worker. Growing up in LA, you're allowed to work at 15 years old. I had a worker's permit. I remember my first job was at the Gap. It was actually when the Gap just introduced their jewelry line.".

After High school, Price took a year abroad in Isreal and participated in a fashion event that then led to her attending "Yeshiva University" and after taking a course in New York at the "Fashion Institute of Technology" (FIT). She then dove into why she decided to start a jewelry business and spoke about her childhood growing up with her grandmother and said, "Going way back to my childhood, my grandmother was really a fashion icon in my eyes, and she was in the fine jewelry business, and so when I was a little girl I used to go to her house everything from feather hats to oversized emerald cocktail rings, trying on her heels.". Price continued by saying jewelry always intrigued her even though she was primarily interested in pursuing a career in bridal couture. What inspired her were vintage stones she was enamoured by, and she decided she was destined to start a jewelry business.

The Start Of It All

Rebekah started her business at 26, 9 months pregnant with her third child and a single mom. To say the least, she hustled to start "Rebekah Price," like everyone else would ask, "how did you succeed?". Rebekah told me, "3 months after my son was born, I got on a plane to a factory in the Middle East. They would not service me unless I was in person, and I crazily took my newborn and developed a relationship with the factory for years". Rebekah then had the gems and other parts to make the jewelry sent to her and made the pieces overnight with a few other women she hired.

The first piece that came to fruition was a single-strand light azure necklace, which she described as light blue with her signature red stone near the clasp. Price had a fantastic idea with this necklace. She said, "When I made it, people would ask me about it on a regular basis, and I kept a piece of paper in my purse of names of the woman and their phone numbers. When I got to 26 women, I decided that I was going to go forward with this, and I remember calling each of them and letting them know I had jewelry for sale. I then asked her how she came up with the concept for "Rebekah Price."

She explained, "The name Is my name, and I felt it was indicative of the brand because the mission statement of my company is to empower women and I wanted to represent that because I myself was in a situation where I had to empower myself, I was a single mom shortly after I started the business and I wanted our jewelry to be an inspiration for woman all over the world." Rebekah then proceeded with her aesthetic. She gave me the best Rebekah Price answer "I remember very distinctly sitting in an office nursing my child with a pair of light peach Ferragamo heels on and I made that the colour of my brand.".

Price's Creative Mind

Rebekah Price designs her jewelry and has many ways of finding creative inspiration. She told me, "It can go down to the old lady walking down the street." She finds inspiration in every aspect of her life, mainly travel, she explained. Price creates mood boards when designing her line to keep a consistent theme with her collection. I asked Rebekah what advice she would give others wanting to start a business; she explained, "I never really thought things through, and maybe that's a good thing. If I really knew how hard it is to be a business owner, maybe I wouldn't be where I am today. If you believe in what you're doing and have a purpose, then you just have to keep going, and there will be a ton of obstacles in the way, and you just have to stay laser-focused.". Rebekah Price was incredible to meet, and it was great getting to know how she ended up with this beautiful crystal jewellery business.

No comments: