Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Fashion Goes Digital : Through the eyes of J.P. Michaels

Celebrating 65 years of pure creativity with Torontobased stylist, author, creator and curator of beautiful things, J.P. Michaels.

Stepping into J.P’s world As I entered through the green door of his 23rd floor apartment, I was instantly in awe of the contents of his home. As I greeted J.P. and wished him a happy 65th birthday, I could not help but contemplate at all the intricacies that guided my eyes through the flow of his apartment. He welcomed me into his home and directed me to his balcony, which offered spectacular views of downtown.

J.P. Michaels is many things, from having been in the army, to singing in choirs, to directing plays, to being a great stylist, the list is as endless as is varied, which revealed a deep sense of knowledge and creativity. When asked about his career in fashion, he responded, “I have a career in selfimprovement, and I use style rather than a knowledge of fashion to sense what would create a flow”.

As I stepped back into the apartment, I noticed a beautifully framed vintage baptism gown hung up on the wall. I asked J.P. if it happened to be his and he said, “That, my dear, was actually my father’s”. As I looked closely at the frame, I was amazed at how well preserved the fabric was, as it looked immaculate and had not but a single thread sticking out, it could have been an artefact from a museum. “I want the eyes of the wonderer never having to stop looking and feeling a sense of curiosity and flow throughout my apartment.”, I can say with certitude that that was the exact feeling I felt walking around.

Digital Birthday Extravaganza

Upon having a little chat, I find out that J.P. had filled his day with Live Instagram interviews with some of his closest friends and people of influence in the fashion industry in Toronto and beyond. The day was full of promises and activities, which I would be privileged enough to contribute to. As the day unfolded, and the Live’s succeeded one another endlessly, and I could not help but notice the genuine relationships that he had formed over the digital platform, as J.P’s vibrant energy allowed you to really connect with him. The apartment was busy from morning to night, with a few people dropping in with gifts and surprises and the sounds of voices from people calling in at intervals. Considering the times we currently live in, I thought it was such a wonderful way to celebrate one’s birthday.

J.P. is one of those people that have managed to retain an immaculate eye for art and fashion, through the trying times of the pandemic, staying active by going digital and actively contributing to some incredible editorials, while maintaining a safe environment. I was curious to know how he managed to keep up with such trying times, to which he shared,

Talking colours

The colours that decorated his home were so mesmerising, which was when I decided to ask him which colour palette would most describe him. His answer was, “There are no colours that I do not like, only difficult colours to work with. I guess if I had to choose, Yellow, black as an accent and a few sprinkles of periwinkle blue. Yellow is a good choice, but will never be the predominant colour that would define me”.

Talking Style

When asked about his sense of style, he candidly replied, “I like to play games with my style, while still being deliberate. What is most focal to my style is my affinity for colour and texture. To go back to your question, I would describe my sense of style as being studied without being forced.”

Talking Future

Going digital, however, was a task in itself, but with an incredible support system backing him, J.P. is on his way to owning digital platforms, “I was doing a lot of writing during the lockdown and documented most of my writing. I would then proceed to choose outfits [for the videos] that would convey a message, depending on the tone of the content to be filmed on the day”. He then went on to share that, “The idea is if you’re getting the message right within yourself, you are going to get it right with others as well. Style is a visual connector. Covid-19 and isolation caused me to think about how I was feeling and what I was thinking, and was, for me, a blessing in disguise”.

As the birthday extravaganza drew to a close, J.P. seemed to have found the most resounding closing statement, as he shared, “My reinvention into a style icon is a period in my life where I think I got the fit right. The ‘Cinderella Syndrome’ where the glass slipper fits you perfectly, well that’s what it’s like for me as a stylist. It’s distinctive, with an element of whimsy that gives people a sense of curiosity. Fashion will engage and connect people, and that will not change.”

Want to watch the interview unfold? Click on the link below and to follow @jp.michaels on Instagram for more fashion and beyond content!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG-0kKnAiUM/

No comments: